What Is Green Construction / Buildings?
Green Construction / Buildings are sited, designed, constructed and operated to enhance the well-being of occupants, and to minimize negative impacts on the community and natural environment.
* Provide a healthier and more comfortable environment
* Improve long-term economic performance
* Incorporate energy and water efficient technologies
* Use recycled content materials in their construction
* Reduce construction and demolition waste
* Bring higher resale value
* Are landscaped for water and energy efficiency
* Include renewable energy technologies
* Improve indoor air quality
* Reduce environmental impact
* Are easier to maintain & built to last
With most of us spending more than 80% of our time indoors, Green Building is the healthy, common sense choice for a better life. As it stands now in traditional construction, the quality of our indoor environment is often far more polluted than outdoors due to various building materials, inadequate lighting, and a variety of other variables. According to EPA reports, the air in new homes can be up to ten times more polluted than outside air due to volatile organic compounds (VOCs) and other chemicals used in product manufacturing. Contrarily, homes that follow green building guidelines use healthier paints and building materials, and adhere to stricter gas emission and ventilation requirements improving the quality of a home's indoor environment.
Green building can also indicate that fewer natural resources are required during construction. According to the U.S. Department of Energy's Center for Sustainable Development, buildings consume 40% of the world's total energy, 25% of its wood harvest and 16% of its water. Compared to traditional construction, a green built home takes some of this pressure off the environment.
More important than any statistic however, is the good feeling you have when you know you've done what's right for both your family and your community. Promoting continued health, financial savings, and social responsibility, Green Building is the construction standard for the future, and the smart solution for today.